Camera Buying Experience – Sweet Stressful Memory

The last time I purchased the digital camera, it was way back in Dec 2006. I did not want to go for an DSLR the first time I bought a camera. So bought Canon Powershot S3 IS the basic specification of this camera is pretty well known hence will not get into the tech spec aspect. Please refer to the www.dpreview.com for in-depth information on the camera.

It had served well for the past few years and is serving well even now. The need for a DSLR camera was increasing by the day (only in my view), started researching by beginning of October 2010. Had quite a few sleepless nights thinking about the DSLR and more so as to which one to buy.

Finally the day of purchasing the DSLR finally came on 28th October 2010. Read on as to know which one I finally purchased.

At first I fixed a budget of 30K for the camera and started the research. The cameras that I found was either costlier or the bare entry level camera. Gave hard thoughts for the three models that I have listed below.

1. Canon EOS 500D
2. Nikon D3100
3. Nikon D5000

Now with the short list done, it was to pick the right one that I am comfortable with. Being used to the Canon for almost 4 years now, I was seriously favoring the EOS. With many reviews read and hours spent over the internet, I finally decided I will buy the Canon EOS 500D though it was slightly over the budget. Since, I had budgeted another 10K for an additional lens. I prefer a telephone lens, initially was interested in the 18-200 mm lens of both Canon and Tamron. Being not so convinced about a third party lens initially decided to pick canon 55-250 mm IS lens.

The next big thing was where to buy in Bangalore. Checked at quite a few places, see the list

1. GK Vale
2. Camera Citi
3. CROMA

CROMA and GK Vale were out of the option purely on the price quoted which was very close to MRP.

Headed straight to FOTO Circle near Anandarao Circle near Majestic. He quoted 43K for the Kit and the canon EF 55-250 mm lens together.

Accessories bought

1. Lowerpro Bag
2. 2 UV Filters
3. 1 CPL Filter
4. Additional Batter – LP E5
5. Lens Hood

Finalized the deal and finally got to own my DSLR Camera.

1 comment:

Vaibhav Arora said...

congrats!! thats a nice camera.. i slipped for a nikon d5000 as i had been using a nikon all this while.. not unahappy, infact i'm very happy with the results it makes.. though the additional lenses cost a lot.. no inbuilt focussing motor in the body :(