HOGANEKAL FALLS

Date: 13th August 2006

It was Saturday, spent a few hours at work and had stayed back at home all evening. Something I was uncomfortable with because I have not ridden out for quite a while now. Slept around 10 pm, could sleep only till 3 am. Now what, just that I picked my mobile up and called my friend and asked him as to what he was up to on Sunday, his reply “nothing” heightened my enthu. Now what, I just don’t know how it came to my mind, just asked my friend whether we could go to Hognekal Falls, my friend’s reply after a little pause was “YES”. So there were start at 5 am Sunday Morning.

Now a little about the place, this is one of the falls of the Kaveri River. Located near Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu, about 180 odd kms from Bangalore. It is said that this waterfalls was acting as border between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. The route we took was Bangalore – Hosur – Denkanokottai – Anchetty – Hognekal – Dharmapuri – Krishnagiri – Hosur – Bangalore.

Now 5 am, nice breeze in the morning, first stop at Shell Petrol bunk, filled up fuel, actually mistake on my part, I could have refueled at Hosur 40 kms away, would have saved close to Rs. 2.5/- per litre. Then had breakfast (yummy idli sambar and pongal at Hosur) and took the Denkanikootai – Anchetty route and reached Hognekal around 10 am. Rode pretty leisurely. Parked the bike in the parking lot where there was loads of shade.

Headed off to the banks of the river, caught hold of a guy, who agreed to take us on the round boat (sorry forgot the name of that boat thingy) he asked for 500, some how negotiated for 300 bucks. The we were on our way on the waters. Reached the other bank, myself and my friend were happy enough to take to the waters. It was a nice feeling to chill in the waters in the hot mid-day sun. Soon my friend wanted to have the fish, caught in the same river. As I am a complete veggie, just let me feast on whatever he wanted to. It was time to head back, the boat guy was generous enough to let us have a try rowing the boat in the river, believe me it is not that easy to row a boat even with three people on board (remember this one is round one). Soon we were on the bank. Shocked to the see the amount of dust on the bike, huh, it took close to 20 mins to just dust it off, it looked as it I had left the bike here a decade ago.

Left the place at 2 pm and reached Dharmapuri. The roads from Dharmapuri to Krishnagiri was really sad, with loads of pot holes (hold on did I say small, they were huge), the condition remained same till Krishnagiri. From Krishnagiri it’s a dream to ride on the road. Soon we hit Bangalore traffic near the electronic city. This ensured that we reached home by 5.30 pm.

All in all, a day was spent with some good memories to relish. As usual the itch to ride out had sort of temporarily subsided.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures..